Short story: it’s going to be a training run.
Long(er) story: I’ve decided to still run Ice Age 50mi trail run but to do so as a quality easy training run and not race for the podium for the following reasons:
- Tender right achilles tendon has me cautious although progressing very well the last 10 days – I’m past pain and dealing with scar tissue / mobility at this point.
- Better and more appropriate training stimulus / zone / gear for my priority in the spring (and all of 2014) being Western States on June 28th.
- Full gear-check and forthcoming long overdue reviews of Salt Stick and Simple Hydration Bottles.
- Greater chance of “bounce-back” and quality recovery for more quality training for Western States – most notably Memorial Day Weekend training runs on the WS trail only two weeks post Ice Age.
- I don’t have to race! One of the very lucky ones getting my ticket through the WS lottery 5 months ago.